Thursday, April 22, 2010

Brewster Introductory Press Conference...and more...

Read below...it's Tim Brewster's initial press conference (keep in mind his 1-11 record in his first year, no wins in trophy games, no rivalry wins, the coaching carousel of his assistants, no identity for the offense or defense, and of course all the off field issues with his players showing up on the police blotter to just name a few things.)

"Our expectation is to win a Big Ten Championship now. We’re not interested in any rebuilding process. I’m very fortunate that I’m not coming into a situation that is decimated where there are no players. There are players here. Glen Mason did an excellent job at this university and coached these kids well. They’ve won a lot of games. They’re not void of talent, so we’re in a little different situation here than it is at most places that are going through the hiring process. I’m very excited that it’s not a complete rebuilding process."My address to the team this morning involved two things: I want guys who are physically tough people and I want players who are passionate. I want players who love the game of football, because make no mistake about it, I love football. It’s been awfully good to me. It’s been my life. I love football and I’m going to surround myself with people who love football. These players have a thirst right now and I’m going to give them what they’re looking for. I promised them one thing, and that is I will never let them down. I’m going to have my football team prepared to play on Saturdays. We’re going to play with pride. We’re going to play with toughness. We’re going to play with passion and we’re going to win. We are going to win. We’re going to win the Big Ten Championship and we’re going to take the Gopher nation to Pasadena. That’s my dream, that’s my goal and that’s my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later.
"What type of football team are we going to be and what type of kids are we going to recruit? Our process there, again, involves talking about toughness and passion. We want kids who are smart and who are going to be able to make plays. What do I want out of their experience here? 1) I want them to get a degree, and 2) I want them to represent this University in a fine fashion at all times. I’m going to communicate with these kids every step of the way make sure they understand what’s acceptable and what’s not. Once kids understand what’s acceptable and what’s not I think you have a much better shot chance for success. "The last thing I’m going to talk to these kids about is making sure they do things right every single day. I’m going to be consistent with what I do. I want them consistent with what they do. I want them training and working every single day towards winning a championship for the Gophers. All I can say is that it is an extremely bright future at the University of Minnesota. I’m extremely lucky to have been chosen as the head football coach at the ‘U’. I take that responsibility very, very seriously. I pledge to you that I’m going to do everything in my power to bring a championship to the Twin Cities and these kids are going to be passionate, they’re going to play hard and they’re going to represent you well."


Other news:
* Twins are 11-5 while winning their first five series of the year...yet, I still don't think they've played that well. However, they've only committed one defensive error through 16 games...that's what Gardy calls the "Twins Way".

* NFL Draft is tonight...it's hard to guess who will fall down to pick number 30...however, I'm going to say that Childress/Vikings goes with a quarterback (Clausen or Tebow). Remember when Childress apparently was threatening to bench Favre during the latter part of the year (Carolina game). I don't even know if that would be the right pick, but I just don't think Childress (but, mostly just his ego) wants to be caught with his pants down (insert "Pants on the Ground" song here) next season.

* Tubby's roster is still a work in progress. Cory Joseph remains undecided. Mbwakwe finally has a court date this summer to find out his status. They picked up two new recruits in Mo Walker and Oto Osenieks during the late signing period. They lost Damian Johnson, Devron Bostick and Lawerence Westbrook to graduation. Paul Carter is transferring to be closer to his sister, and Justin Cobbs may also transfer out of the program.

* Oregon still has not hired a men's basketball coach. They were setting their sights high and were shooting for Tubby, Izzo, Few, Stevens and Mike Anderson...recruits and current players are leaving the program due to not having a coach...and what makes things worse, they forked over thousands for a search firm to help assist with finding the best candidates for the job. Well, I guess they found the best candidates...they just can't hire any of them.

SBG

No comments:

Post a Comment