Monday, May 10, 2010

Target Field Review #2...Section 117

I was a last minute fill-in to take my little brother-in-law (sophomore in high school) to the Twins second game of a double header against the Orioles on Saturday night. Here are some of my random observations throughout the game:

* We were located in Section 117, Row 19 in seats 1 and 2. Excellent view of everything...we were slightly under the overhang of the Legends Club and lined up behind the left side of the netting behind the backstop. My brother-in-law was excited about getting a foul ball...I told him he must not be good at geometry...I love being old and bitter.

* Twins screw up the "around the horn" in the 3rd inning. Orlando Hudson misfires to Nick Punto and the ball sails into third base foul territory. Nick Punto doesn't want anything to do with a ball that can't endure a simple "around the horn" routine. Baker had to get an additional ball from the home plate umpire. Never seen this happen before in person...kind of a weird moment for the "professional" players on the field.

* I noticed that on some of the introductions to Twins players stepping up to the batters' box, they'll do a simulated video game highlight of said player on the big scoreboard. Do you know Nick Punto's "highlight" was an infield single on this video game production? I'm not saying that they should have had Nick Punto unleashing a home run, but couldn't they at least given him a nice legit outfield single...I thought it was a little harsh, but also hilarious at the same time.

* I know Dick and Bert bring this up all the time, but Cuddyer's stance is odd. When Bert brings this topic up, I used to roll my eyes...but, his hands start at his waist in his batting stance. I don't think you can appreciate this until you watch this from behind. I know it's an attempt to quicken his swing...but, it just looks uncomfortable.

* Bottom of 8th, was pretty memorable just because of all the irony involved. Twins have runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out and the bottom third of the lineup due up (Punto, Casilla and Butera). To create a possible double play scenario...Orioles decide to intentionally walk Nick Punto to load up the bases (weird, but I get the reasoning behind it). Gardenhire pulls a slick and unexpected move by pinch hitting Mauer in place of Casilla. The crowd erupts and goes crazy for 5-10 minutes...it was goosebump zone loud...and what does Mauer do...strikeouts swinging. So, we have two outs and our third string catcher, who can't hit comes to the plate...he ends up hitting a clutch two out single to left that drives in two more runs. So to recap: the crowd giggled when Punto was walked...erupted when Mauer took the on-deck circle...then settled into their seats after Mauer K's and eventual out (Butera) walks up to the plate....then erupts again as Drew Butera shockingly singles in two more runs.

* I strictly had a beer diet during the game, however I did pick up a $5 bag of Kettle Korn. I consider this as the best buy so far in the new stadium. The bag is huge and the Kettle Korn was really good...and the price is perfect.

* Scott Baker rolls into the fourth with a perfect game going...and I'm not saying this would've continued by any means...but, Span and Cuddyer allow the first hit to be a routine fly ball that both thought the other would catch easily. It look like our D leage softball team going after a fly ball (or should I say not going after a fly ball).

SBG

No comments:

Post a Comment