Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Random, like an Ozzie Guillen interview...

Busy week of sports from every direction...so, I'm throwing it all at you with no rhyme or reason.

* I attended the Saturday late afternoon tilt between the Rangers and Twins with my wife and another couple. We had four tickets in the Legends Club and the seats and surroundings were excellent. I can't compliment the Twins enough on how they built that stadium. The wide open concourse and use of windows all over is easy on the eyes no matter where you are in the park. Also, the Legends Club is a hot spot for foul balls (we probably had about 5-6 balls land in and around the two sections on both sides of us).

* Jim Thome has now racked up 21 home runs this year. Did anyone realistically expect this kind of production from him, while doing it in a quasi-part-time role...? The answer is no...and kudos to Gardy for not overextending his playing time with the loss of Morneau.

* Gopher fullback Jon Hoese's dad dies less than a week after he has a career performance of three touchdowns in the opener against Middle Tennessee State.

* Why are members of my family and fans in general disgusted that we traded away Sage Rosenfels and kept T-Jack? Ideally, none of these guys will see the field for any significant/meaningful time regardless with Favre in the fold this year. Which gets me thinking...if you're a black quarterback and play for the Minnesota Vikings...you pretty much have a 2-3 year window to win the Super Bowl, or else the fan base will eventually turn on you (examples: Moon, Cunningham, Culpepper). Good luck Joe Webb!!

* Golden Gopher basketball goes 3-0 in exhibition games during their Canadian tour. Not sure what the competition was like, but I'm excited for the group that Tubby has in the fold. They have a plethora of quality big men (Iverson, Walker, Sampson, Mbakwe) they can choose from that will create lots of match up problems for the opponents (even in conference play).

* I recorded and watched a little bit of the "Legends Game" on Fox Sports North. I enjoy it when the Twins bring back former players...but, come on...Brian Raabe is participating in the "Legends Game". What did he do as a member of the Minnesota Twins? Not only was he a borderline prospect that didn't do anything individually at the major league level, but he managed to accomplish nothing on bad Minnesota teams.

* Season opener for the Vikings at New Orleans on Thursday night. It would be nice to sneak out a win...but, does that really help anybody cope from that NFC Championship game meltdown last year...??

* Ten person fantasy football draft in my cousin's league last night. I've won three consecutive years somehow while having the last pick in the first round every year (you draft based on your record/finish from the previous year). My squad: Larry Fitzgerald (keeper), Greg Jennings, Brett Favre, Ronnie Brown, Felix Jones, Clinton Portis, Tony Gonzalez, Robert Meachem, Stephen Gostkowski, Jeremy Maclin, Chester Taylor, Vince Young, New Orleans Defense, and Mr. Irrelevant...Greg Camarillo.

I've never felt so depressed about my team so early in the draft. My keeper doesn't have a quarterback that can get him the ball. Favre is playing one of the toughest schedules. Ronnie Brown will share with Ricky. Felix will share with Barber. Chester will split with Forte. Portis will get hurt in the next week or two. Meachem and Maclin are unproven and probably going to be highly inconsistent throughout the year. Vince Young is clinically depressed. However, I think I got great value with my Camarillo pick...so I have that going for me.

SBG

No comments:

Post a Comment