Thursday, October 28, 2010

We're pretty much the Detroit Lions of the NBA...

It's tough to watch the Timberwolves. It's true that they have an immensely better overall roster than they did last year. However, they are still terrible. On opening night, they lose at home to a Kings team that is missing their best player (Tyreke Evans). Here's my insight on the game last night and some other random thoughts:

* Sebastian Telfair used to be our starting point guard a few years ago. Yuck. I hate his game. He looks for his own shot way too much, and never gets his teammates involved. Also, what's up with the two point guards (Ridnour and Telfair) combining for 35 points? I was under the impression that the point guard really didn't have to do much offensively (other than make the right "reads") in the triangle offense...??

* Wesley Johnson...I might have been wrong about him. I didn't like his age. I didn't like how he was from Syracuse (no defense). I didn't like how he transferred from Iowa State to Syracuse (usually, that's a red flag for whatever reason). His dunk last night was ridiculous. His handles are still weak, but at least he's not shy about attacking the hoop. His shot wasn't on last night, but it looks pretty effortless...especially, on a night when you're forced to watch Luther Head and/or Corey Brewer attempt a long range jumper.

* I want Kevin Love to succeed. However, I don't know if he does enough things well on a consistent basis to succeed at this level on a nightly basis. He hit a couple of threes, but he was more of a liability with the ball in his hands than an actual threat on the perimeter. He had some dumb turnovers (that I was told Michael Beasley would make, but not Kevin Love) that killed us in the 2nd half. I'm still not sure what to make of him, but I'm pretty sure he's not a "building block". He's more of a solid 6th man on a playoff team.

And this crap about him being on Team USA this past summer, which somehow translates to some people that he's now a "star" in the making needs to stop. It was a tier 2-3 team. He barely got minutes on that team. Christian Laettner was on the ACTUAL original Dream Team...how did that work out for us?

* I like Beasley. He can create on his own. We haven't had a wing player be able to create his own shot since...?? Maybe Latrell...but, he was the older version at the time...I would almost have to go back to J.R. Rider. That's sad.

* One of the many reasons I prefer college basketball over the NBA...is the referees. I complain about the refs during college games as well, but the NBA game is so inconsistent from possession to possession that Tim Donaghy keeps creeping in my mind while I'm watching the game.

SBG

No comments:

Post a Comment