Monday, January 17, 2011

The Barn: Hawkeyes @ Gophers

My three year old son Cullen (not named after the stupid Vampire family...just wanted to clarify) and I attended the hoops game last night while sitting in Section 209/Row 3...here's how the night transpired:

* We had to get there early because the leg room up in the upper level is cramped (I know from experience...I had to carry Cullen out one time and he proceeded to kick two people in the head in the row in front of us on our way out.), so I wanted to get the souvenirs out of the way early and get situated at our seats. Cullen wanted another glow and the dark basketball, while I also picked up a stuffed "Goldy" for his twin sister who was supposed to originally be my date for this game.

* We got there early enough to view their intro video...I've shown this video to my son at home on the computer and I name him all the guys that are shown. For some reason, he goes crazy over still photo shot of Jim Brewer's banner. By the way, they took Devoe's part off and added another Blake.

* So MANY people hyped up Austin Hollins coming into the year as a "heady" player that "knows how to play the game" because of who his dad is/was. This statement is FALSE. Once again, an opponent has a clear breakaway for an easy two and Austin decides to waste a cheap foul and let's the guy pretty much convert an easy three point play. This is about the third time I've seen this bonehead play from him this year. If you're going to foul in that situation, that ball better not come close to getting up near the rim. And now that I've seen him live in two games...he's weak with the ball and his passing is even weaker. Plus, he's just flat out not making shots...so, if this is all true wouldn't freshman Chip Armelin be a more "heady" player that "knows how to play the game"?

* Fran McCafferey gets a technical and the student section chants "Asshole" (best chant/cheer of the game). Welcome to the Big Ten, Fran. Student section was a lot better against Iowa than they were for the Indiana...but, they still lack any creativity. "Who hates Iowa, We hate Iowa" = lame. There must be some kind of rules against any chants/cheers with any creativity.

* Cullen was craving some popcorn midway through the first half. So, we waited until halftime to run and get some...however, they were introducing basketball alumni at the break and I wish we would have been in our seats. I couldn't catch all the names, but I saw Quincy Lewis (no surprise, he works with the U of M), David Grim, one of the Stanford twins...this would've been great material for my blog that nobody reads.

* Gophers blow their 10 or 11 point halftime lead within minutes in the second half. Seriously, I always revert back to the Virginia game at the Barn this year when things start to go south. They also had a 10 point lead at halftime of that game and it evaporated in minutes due to Virginia's hot three point shooting and our lackluster offense. If Tubby Smith wasn't our coach, I'd pretty much be convinced that our players were bought off to keep the game at a certain point spread for each game. The peaks and valleys (and specifically the lengths of the valleys) of this team just doesn't make sense...especially, for a team that doesn't rely on the three ball all the time. I mean we're not Michigan or Northwestern that hoist up threes at an ungodly rate.

* How spoiled is the younger generation getting to see Rodney Williams and Trevor Mbakwe play? I mean these guys give us 5-10 highlights a game where they are violently dunking or blocking shots. I'm not saying these plays result in wins...but, as a kid is there anything better than watching these type of plays? I mean Sam Jacobson was pretty sick, but I think these two are on a different level amongst their peers.

* Gophers manage to get a win...we walk out to our car and get in. My son asks, "Why do all the girls' smile at me?"

SBG

No comments:

Post a Comment