Friday, March 4, 2011

PMA

PMA was a motivational acronym we used at our cellar dweller football program in college. Positive Mental Attitude. I mean doesn't this sound like something that Tim Brewster would say to his troops after getting blasted week in and week out. Well, I'm going to try to put it to use here today and list some of the positives that we have going around here for our Minnesota sports scene.

* Twins infield. I'm not even really talking about Morneau either. I'm anxious to see Casilla, Valencia and Nishioka play under Gardenhire. Will Gardy have the quick hook if one or more of these guys are in a slump? Casilla has the shortest leash of them all even though he's been clutch in tight spots for this club. If you throw Morneau back in the mix...we'd be back to the good ol' days with the "League of Nations Infield" (Koskie, Guzman, Rivas and Dougie M...yes, I'm too lazy to look up to see how to spell his last name).

* Blake Hoffarber. What a shitty way to end your college career...but, I hope the The Barn recognizes and appreciates what this kid has done to help this program along. No hatred towards Al Nolen, but this kid has done it on and off the court for all four years while improving his individual game every year.

Also, what's your favorite Gopher basketball moment that wasn't tarnished by academic scandal? I mean does it get any better than a white kid that was hardly recruited by Division I schools going up to grab a 3/4 length court out of bounds pass between taller, more athletic players and then having the wherewithal to spin and shoot a floating sideways one footer jumper that goes in and beats the Hoosiers IN Indianapolis to move on to the next round of the Big Ten Tourney. *My personal story on that game...I had Big Ten Network...my dad didn't have that channel yet (lots of posturing with cable companies)...he stayed on the phone while I was depressed that we blew the game and then Blake goes Christian Laettner on us and all I could say to my dad was a whole bunch of expletives over and over. My dad was confused up until I settled down after the 3rd or 4th replay.

* Kudos to Kevin Love. I think his double-double streak is a little water-downed by playing for a 15 win team currently. However, within that streak he's had some monster games that the T'wolves actually ended up winning (30-30 game against the Knicks and a 20-20 game against the Pistons). I always liked the energy he's brought to the court, now it seems that the "energy" is being validated by this current streak.

Other than what I mentioned above...our sports suck balls right now. But, remember...we have to have PMA.

SBG

No comments:

Post a Comment