Tuesday, June 16, 2009

One Shining Moment(s)

Here's my tribute to Minnesota sports figures past and present with their "One Shining Moments" that are engraved in my head. These are not the most recognizable names, but they bring back some pretty vivid memories for me.

Miles Tarver: I never saw you play in high school, but your "One Shining Moment" was riding Jason Kidd's fame into a college scholarship of your own. Man, you were ugly.

Scott Erickson: I was at the game for your no-hit performance against the Brewers. However, whenever your name pops up...I think of the you and Inga Hammond in the Bullwinkle's men's bathroom.

Dan Mastellar: Many don't remember this name...but, Twins gave this guy a charity call-up to the big leagues because he was Chuck Knoblauch's best friend. He hit a game winning home-run against the Yanks at the dome.

Eric Guliford: You sneaky, little pesky receiver who somehow got wide open to set up the game winning field goal for the Vikes against the Pack at the dome. If Jim McMahon didn't wear a visor...you would've been covered.

Michael Williams: You shot free throws like a stud, however you never really played. So basically, my dad is just as good as you are at basketball.

Glen Mason: Your moment was against Michigan at the dome (but was duplicated many times before and after). How do you dominate the game running the ball and still not be able to control the game/clock whatsoever? This game was Tecmo Bowl style. All you had to do was stop the one play Michigan was running on offense...that would be the screen play, Glen.

David Ortiz: I had a man crush on you when you played for the Twins. The game I remember most is at Kansas City where you had a slide into home plate (you unknowingly broke your hand). Your next at-bat you homered to right. You then pulled yourself out of the game and the x-rays revealed you had a broken hand.

Hosea Crittenden: "Play Hosea!"

I'll have more memories to share with you at a later date...

SBG

1 comment:

  1. Miles Tarver was the inspiration for my first experiment with facial hair. It didn't go well for either of us.

    ReplyDelete