Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Basketcase Diary: Negative Edition (12/7/10)

Basketball drives me nuts...even if the expectations for a given team are really "Basement Brewster" level low...I still end up cussing at the television due to frustration. I hate turnovers. I can't stand having no flow/movement on the offensive end (with or without the ball). I hate when my team misses FREE throws. I hate lazy defense. I hate refs that call an inconsistent game. Or refs getting bullied by the veteran coaches of the league (cough...Izzo). So, this will be a forum for my rants that occur on the hardwood floor for both the Timberwolves and Gophers...here we go:

* Sebastian Telfair - How has this guy lasted seven plus years in the league? He is diminutive. He has no explosion/first step to his game (which means he can't get to the rim). When he tries to get to the rim...he doesn't finish. He can't D anyone up. He is HORRIBLE at the free throw line (74%)...that's a big man type percentage. My favorite part is where he'll miss both free throws and then come down on the very next possession and chuck up a three within the first ten seconds of the shot clock. Who is your favorite "peaked way too early and obviously doesn't have as much game as what SI wrote about years ago during their adolescent years as an athlete"...Sebastion Telfair or Felipe Lopez...I'll go with the latter.

* Devoe Joseph - He just got back in the mix...but, what's up with this guy struggling so mightily during the early going? He really didn't come on until the Big Ten Tourney last year...he played well during that 4 game stretch. Are we expecting too much from him from such a small sample size last year...and was that just a mirage (4 games is hardly a trend)...or will he be the real deal like so many of us just assumed he'd be coming into this year...??

* Free throw shooting - Atrocious. It's been so bad for the Gophers at the line that I miss the ever so selfish/unlikeable, Lawrence Westbrook. He would at least hit clutch free throws. Currently, we have TWO guys making free throws above a 67% clip (Blake and Maverick...two guys that barely get to the line anyways...and even Blake has missed some crucial free throws). And, it was crappy last year too (just not at this pace)...I mean it's so bad I would turn this into an opportunity to help raise money towards a new practice facility...make players make free throws during games...have fans contribute based on free throws made during games/or have them donate a sum of their choice if the team hits a certain percentage (example 80%) for each game. Plus, our program benefits by winning more games if we make more free throws...I mean this is probably the easiest fix to improve your team...plus, you have tangible evidence for Tubby that you are trying to work with him.

* Blake's perimeter defense - I love Blake's game. However, when mediocre teams/players are bombing three's on you at a ridiculous pace while you're playing straight up man to man defense...and then the coach has to go to a 2-3 zone so you're not overexposed (which is really ridiculous considering zones force teams to shoot from the perimeter) on the defensive end...pretty much sums up that you suck balls at playing any type of defense.

* Love's interior defense - Kevin Love is putting up gaudy offensive numbers. However, he is getting destroyed on the other end of the court. When he was teamed up with Al Jefferson...I gave Kevin the benefit of the doubt, because Al sucks at defense and I thought Kevin was at times overcompensating for Al's suckiness on D. I was wrong. Darko was out due to injury and Amare Stoudemire KILLED Love. Probably not the best match up for Kevin...but, I don't think it really matters anymore who the opponent is across from him.

SBG

No comments:

Post a Comment